Issues creating and editing Namespaces

Hi all,

Some of our users have defined a Namespace which now needs to be updated. I noticed interface issues while helping them do this.

Firstly, when updating Namespaces:

• The Definition field can only be updated through the Namespace Managed Item in the Stewardship Organisation.

• The Shorthand Prefix (which controls how the Namespace is defined in the Information Box of Metadata Items) can only be updated through the Django management interface.

I would think the Shorthand Prefix should be editable through the Namespace Managed Item in the Stewardship Organisation.

Secondly, I noticed that if Namespaces are created:

• As a Managed Item in the Stewardship Organisation, then the Shorthand Prefix isn’t able to be set as it isn’t in the form. That means that the identifier isn’t defined in the Information Box for Metadata Items. And, it can’t be edited through the Django management interface because (as per the screenshot below) the Shorthand Prefix provides the text for the URL of the Namespace in Django (and since there is no text, there is no URL).

• Through the Django Managment Interface, then everything works normally (though the user will need to edit the Namespace through the Managed Items in the Stewardship Organisation to provide the Definition (as that can’t be done in Django). Shorthand Prefix is actually a required field in Django.

Users should be able to create fully functioning Namespaces through the Managed Items in the Stewardship Organisations.

Finally, there is a URL on the Shorthand Prefix in the Information Box for Metadata Items. For example Test in the screenshot below.

The URL currently links to the Metadata Item that is already open. Wouldn’t it be more useful if the URL linked to the Namespace so people could easily see the definition of the Identifier?